Screw Harry Potter and his Deadly Hollows!
The REAL big buzz in the publishing world belongs to The Age of Conversation , a collaborative effort dreamed up and meticulously guided by Drew McLellan and Gavin Heaton. It comes out today, but last night there were midnight bashes in online bookstores throughout the world, with kids and adults alike dressing up as their favorite The Age of Conversation contributor, munching on Alpha-Bits cereal (the official foodstuff of the AOC) and downing unprecedented amounts of smart drinks.
Here's what I will say about the project, though:
1) Even more important than the book's subject matter is its soul. This is a book with a heart; ALL proceeds from ALL book sales will be donated to Variety, the Children's Charity. And there are three ways to buy 'em, ensuring that all along the reading spectrum --from the digital downloader to the hardcover hoarder-- can buy the book in their fave format via Lulu.com. Here are the more-than-reasonable prices:
- The e-book--$9.99 ($7.99 going to charity)
- The Paperback--$16.95 ($8.10 to charity)
- The Hardcover--$29.99 ($8.55 to charity)
2) This is no cliché or butt-kissing--I am TRULY honored to be part of the project. I worked like a looney to be eloquent and relevant in my piece, entitled "How to be LOUD!"
3) And why did I work so hard? 'Cuz I had at least be as good as this group of prestigious peers, who all deserve a round of applause for gathering thoughts and banging the drums to raise the level of support and donations for The Age Of Conversation. Check 'em all out:
Roger von Oech
Tony D. Clark
Kimberly Dawn Wells
John La Grou
Dr. Graham Hill
S. Neil Vineberg
So what are you waiting for? Buy the book!